Saturday, August 3, 2013

Running: Sickness and Iron


Well, looks like Cole has passed his summer cold on to me.  Yesterday I started to feel really stuffed up, had a hard time breathing, a head cold and started feeling very dizzy (darn vertigo- I've had lots of issues with it this year). 

I had 8 miles to run Saturday ( 2 easy, 4 @ 7:20 pace and 1 mile bursts, 2 easy) and 15 on Sunday. 

I wasn't feeling 100% on Saturday but still ran. I tried to do the workout but I felt tired and just couldn't get into it. I decided to scratch the workout and just run the 8 miles. I was frustrated so I just turned off my watch and ran. 

I am moving my 15 miles to Monday. We will be home Monday and I think doing a route I am used to will make it a bit easier on me. Up North the only route I've been running is out and back, not my favorite. 

And just because... My little reflexology buddy


So, my question for you guys is: do you run when you aren't feeling well or skip it all together?

For me, I typically run. I find that more times than not I feel better after a run. Although, I tend to keep my workouts on the easier side.

The only times I normally skip out on my runs is the flu. Fortunately, ( I am knocking on wood as I type this) I stay pretty healthy and only have minor colds and viruses to run with. 

Earlier this year I had a really hard time running. My pace was super slow, I was tired, I just wanted to sleep. I kept pushing through thinking it was just work stress and keeping up with Cole. My slow pace was frustrating me, as was my chronic fatigue. 

My husband urged me to go to the doctor and get my blood tested ( I despise needles and avoid doctors 99% of the time). Sure enough my hemoglobin levels were low and I was anemic. My husband deals with this issue often with his young female runners. I feel so much better since I've been taking an iron supplement and eating more iron rich foods

I urge you to talk with your doctor and get a blood test before taking iron. Too much iron can have the same effects as too little iron. Always seek a professionals advice. My doctor has me on a multivitamin with iron and my symptoms are gone. ( Symptoms I was having : hard time breathing, low energy, inability to run at a pad you are typically comfortable, dizzy spells)

I am hoping the 15 miler goes better than today's run! Not sure what Sunday's workout will be. I'll be sure to fill you guys in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment