Sunday, August 18, 2013

Don't Do What I Do

Workout
17 miles/ time ??

This morning started at 5:30 am.  I had my alarm set for 6 am, but Cole decided we should be up earlier. 

Chris had practice and left at 5 am. He was running 10 miles with his team. He is pretty speedy and averaged a 6:42 pace. 
( a picture from the spring)

I was thankful Cole woke me up earlier than I had planned, because it gave me a chance to eat breakfast. I had a whole grain waffle with peanut butter and chia seeds. 

Chris' sister ( a senior in high school and on his XC team) wanted to run 5 miles with me at 6:15. She is coming off an IT band injury and isn't ready for 10 miles yet. We ran 8:00-7:40 mile splits. 

(My mother-in-law is pretty amazing for waking up at 6am to watch Cole on her last day of summer break. She is a teacher too, but in a different district.) 

I kept running once we got back to my house. I had 12 more miles to do. Unfortunately, my garmin was not connect to the charger correctly last night and died at mile 7. Smart move #1. I was running a hilly route and told myself to slow my pace down to 8:30-8:45. Miles 6&7 were 8:35 but I have no idea what the pace was for the rest of my run.  

I died at mile 13. I needed water, but only had gels on me. I took a gel and cramped up so bad. The closest water fountain was 2 miles away. I had to walk a few times because I was feeling so sick and basically gave up mentally. Once I got to the water, I drank too much too fast and kept cramping up. I pushed through the last 2 miles, but walked 3 times for about. 15 seconds. I was so done and dreaming of Nuun. 

I got 17 in. However, .5 mile was probably walking. 

Cole was outside playing when I got home. I poured myself a huge glass of water, added Nuun, and went out to join him. He is so cute and stretches with me when I stretch. I stretched for a good 15-20 minutes and foam rolled too. 

Then we came in and made green protein smoothies. 

Lunch
Of course we went out for our favorite meal. 
Chipolte! Even though it is a terrible picture it tasted great! 
Elmo was hungry too. 

Chris dropped us off at the top of the lane and took off.  Cole wasn't happy about it this time. We ran/ walked the .4 mile home. 

Things to do that I did
1. Eat before a long run. Something that you know your body can handle
2. Stretch and foam roll
3. Refuel within 30 minutes of your run, even if you aren't hungry 
4. Go out for ice cream! DQ mini blizzard! 

Things to do that I DIDN'T do
1. Drink water!!!!! Before during and after.  Wear a water belt or set water along your route. 
2. Run negative splits, not positive. I should have run with my sister-in-law at the end of the run, but she had places be and needed it done early. It really messed up the pace for the rest of my run. 
3. Make sure you know where the porta potties are. The 2 that I knew of on this route were gone! Fun:) 
4. Don't take gels without water. 
5. Make sure your garmin is connected to the charger!
6. Take an ice bath
7. Take a nap during the day, you deserve it! 

Question
What advice do you have for long runs?!






No comments:

Post a Comment